Badcock Home Furnishings began in 1904 when Henry Stanhope Badcock, an immigrant from England, started his first store in Mulberry Florida.
In 1920, Wogan, Henry’s son, bought the Mulberry store from his father. Business grew and prospered until 1928 with the land boom/bust. The depression hit Badcock Furniture, along with other businesses throughout the country. In the depression years, it was very difficult to sell the merchandise Wogan had on hand. It was during this time that he developed the concept of the Dealer operation. He initially put merchandise on consignment in various types of stores throughout central Florida and agreed to share the proceeds if and when the merchandise was sold. He also began selling merchandise through route salesmen who used small trucks to travel designated routes to sell to customers on credit, collecting on installment accounts from those customers.
Over a period of time, the salesman’s routes along with the consignment of merchandise to other stores developed into the establishment of home furnishing centers to receive and sell only merchandise consigned from the W.S. Badcock Corporation. The Dealers were able to finance their accounts with support from the corporation. The principle of granting credit to customers was unique at that time and was truly the forerunner of the way most merchandise transactions are conducted today.
In 1963, Wogan’s son, Wogan Stanhope Badcock Jr., at the age of 31, assumed the position of President of the W.S. Badcock Corporation. In1967, the Corporation expanded outside of the state of Florida, opening a store location in Valdosta, GA. From 1969 to 1976, there were 150 Badcock Home Furnishing Centers open. The 150th location was in Graceville, Florida.
In the 1980’s, growth continued with over 175 stores producing annual sales of over $100 million. Badcock moved forward with its expansion moving into North and South Carolina, Mississippi and Tennessee.
In late 1999, the corporate image “and more” took on a whole new look and design. The traditional blue and orange logo of the 1960’s was replaced with the logo that stands today. The Badcock & more Store 2000 Conversion Project launched, featuring new storefronts and an interior re-design. On March 7, 2000, the first Badcock & more retail store built from the ground up celebrated its ribbon cutting in Dade City, Florida.
In 2013, Badcock & more began working on the next refresh of stores, featuring new floor plans, interior color, and a sleek new identity wall. With input from many loyal customers, Badcock & more’s focus is still on offering customers great and easy financing options with our own in-house financing, but is also on providing customers with the color and style they want, at prices they love, in an atmosphere that allows them to picture the furniture in their own home.
Today, there are over 300 Badcock & more stores in eight states: Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia. There are approximately 79 corporate stores and 228 Dealer-owned stores.
Badcock will treat you right!